XplicitPerformance.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home of Performance Cars and Trucks!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome to XplicitPerformance!!!!
Latest topics
» whats going on every one is gone or what!!!!
mustang build questions EmptyAugust 18th 2015, 13:13 by XplicitPerformance

» old member from rgv carlos with 78 vette
mustang build questions EmptyDecember 25th 2014, 23:35 by stingreyvette78

» kid+m3=lol
mustang build questions EmptyAugust 8th 2014, 13:28 by godmachine

» WANTED: T-5 TRANSMISSION
mustang build questions EmptyJuly 29th 2014, 10:28 by blksaleen

» whats going on Dru?
mustang build questions EmptyMay 29th 2014, 23:15 by XplicitPerformance

» 2003 Torch Red Turbo Cobra For Sale!
mustang build questions EmptyApril 24th 2014, 17:36 by Trailer Trash Racer

» Brand new 18" 2014 Mustang GT premium wheels & tires for sale.
mustang build questions EmptyJanuary 4th 2014, 16:43 by Sneaky Snake

» WANTED5.0 302 cu engine
mustang build questions EmptyOctober 21st 2013, 11:15 by blksaleen

» newbie from houston,tx
mustang build questions EmptyAugust 30th 2013, 15:43 by neto_esa panic

Similar topics
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 262 on April 11th 2021, 10:26
XplicitPerformance Links
Xplicit Myspace Xplicit YouTube Xplicit Facebook Houston Auto Locators Facbook Clear Lake Speed

mustang build questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Evilution
Evilution

mustang build questions Empty
PostSubject: mustang build questions   mustang build questions EmptyAugust 23rd 2010, 01:22

so i just picked up an 89 vert gt. heres the low down. dss 331/C4... but for whatever reason it was topped off with the stock top end (just ported mani and heads, yes e7's)! all the way up to the tb. so im trying to wake this car up. its got a hell of a lot of low end tq but up top is crap. even used a b cam...? i am assuming it was an extreme budget build. so what are your suggestions as far as a heads/cam/intake combo. and whats your vote on staying EFI or going carbed? the procomp heads are tempting price wise but i hear the quality is not too hot. id like to keep it on a relative budget but, i would rather spend a little extra than save a few pennies for crap products. figured i would ask yall blue oval boys since all i have ever built is LS1's. Aint worried about emissions or idle quality (long as it will idle Wink ). Not a daily driver, but will see a lot of street use. i guess id like to put down 350 or so rwhp N/A and throw some nitrous at it. definatley want pump gas and hyd roller. also a few questions.

1. curb weight on 89 gt vert?
2. good dyno tuner for these fox mustangs in houston

Thanks,
Marty
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/RevMartyr
XplicitPerformance
Admin
XplicitPerformance

PostSubject: Re: mustang build questions   mustang build questions EmptyAugust 23rd 2010, 01:45

Vert Curb weight GT with an Auto is about 3400 lbs give or take a few.

As for your build for the price you want to spend on a pro comp head you would definitely need to clean up the casting. That is the main thing people complain about the pro-comp head for. If you are going to have them ported they are not a bad head but in my opinion you can shop around and find a good decent trickflow or AFR head for 1000 or less. I got a killer deal on my Dart heads for my coupe. I would definitely look into a trickflow head or the AFR head which is a pretty tried and true type setup. The AFR 185 would work pretty well with the setup. I would definitely junk the B cam for sure. I am guessing the B cam was carried over from his old setup along with the E7TE heads. I would consider the Comp Cams stroker oriented cam shafts. The Trickflow Stage 3 cam shaft is a decent piece and very price friendly as well. I would also go with a Trickflow R Intake or a track heat at the least. The Edelbrock RPM II intake is a very nice unit as well and works great with strokers along with the Victor 5.0. EFI is great for alot of driving as well. I would stick EFI for a street car.
Back to top Go down
https://xplicitperformance.forumotion.com
Evilution
Evilution

PostSubject: Re: mustang build questions   mustang build questions EmptyAugust 23rd 2010, 14:28

any idea what the short belt length is? gonna measure when i get time just busy as hell lately. just curious if you knew, might make things easier. found the pic at http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/93019-smog-ac-delete.html . but they didnt have the length listed. no smog/no ac/ no ps is wht im looking for.

thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/RevMartyr
Trailer Trash Racer
XP Member
XP Member
Trailer Trash Racer

PostSubject: Re: mustang build questions   mustang build questions EmptyAugust 23rd 2010, 14:56

Edelbrock RPMII, AFR 185's, and a good off the shelf Comp Cam will do. I personally wouldn't run the Victor since I wouldn't want my powerband to come in at 4k, and on that stock c4.
Back to top Go down
XplicitPerformance
Admin
XplicitPerformance

PostSubject: Re: mustang build questions   mustang build questions EmptyAugust 23rd 2010, 16:00

well depends on what the stall converter stalls too...might work pretty well...
Back to top Go down
Trailer Trash Racer
XP Member
XP Member
Trailer Trash Racer

PostSubject: Re: mustang build questions   mustang build questions EmptyAugust 23rd 2010, 18:50

True. My previous post was going by what I've seen. My buddy Ray's fox would just fall on it's face off the line. That's just too much intake IMO, unless it was a more aggressive motor with high comp/high lift, or maybe boost. Not to mention that most fox motors don't spin that high AND still make power. An intake with a power range of 1500 to 6500 will give him plenty room to play with, while making that 350-400 hp range more attainable.
In regards to tunes guy, I'd let that A9l do work. Bump up your timing to around 14 degrees, fuel pressure set around 38, and that's how your tuning will go lol.
Back to top Go down
XplicitPerformance
Admin
XplicitPerformance

PostSubject: Re: mustang build questions   mustang build questions EmptyAugust 23rd 2010, 18:58

yeah but a wideband would be a good tool as well...see what the a/f is looking like. That 331 has the torque to support an RPM II and AFRs.
Back to top Go down
geoffc
Newb
Newb
geoffc

PostSubject: Re: mustang build questions   mustang build questions EmptyAugust 29th 2010, 22:53

The AFR185/RPM II/XE282HR is a proven combo for 331/347s and will easily achieve your power goals. The Trickflow cams are hard to beat for the money. IMO, the XFI cams are really for the bigger 9.2 deck strokers.
I have a 347 with AFR185/homeported typhoon/XE282HR and am really happy with the powerband. Even though I am happy with the performance, I do not recommend the typhoon because the quality was absolute crap. I do regret not going with 1 3/4" headers and 75mm throttlebody and will probably upgrade to those in the future.
Even though I know nothing about carbs, I suggest staying EFI. I took my car to Slater's to get tuned for the E85. I just put a mass air cal'd for 30lb injectors and used 39lb injectors to get it running. To my surprise, by the 3rd run on the dyno, the A9L had the air/fuel ratio perfect on its own. They didn't even charge me for tuning since I had the timing spot on already. Chris just charged me for dyno runs.
The short belt length will vary depending on how you choose to run your acces./tens. I usually just approximate the length, pick it up from O'Reilly's, then if it doesn't fit, return it for one shorter or longer.
Back to top Go down
XplicitPerformance
Admin
XplicitPerformance

PostSubject: Re: mustang build questions   mustang build questions EmptyAugust 29th 2010, 23:29

Drive it to oreilly and swap the belts in the parking lot LOL

The AFR185/RPMII/XE282HR was a good combo. That was on the Htown89 car we had. It went 10.50s@127mph on a 50 shot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mustang build questions   mustang build questions Empty

Back to top Go down

mustang build questions
Page 1 of 1